Washington Post: “The speakership of the House is one of those things no one wants to be stuck holding, like a hot potato, a murder weapon or a hot potato that was used as a murder weapon earlier.”
Here is a ranking of jobs more desirable than speaker of the House.
10) “Hunger Games” Tribute
9) Garbage Collector:
8) Cat Herder
7) Tom Hanks In “Castaway”
6) Sisyphus: Same frustrating feeling that “at the end of the day, I’ve accomplished something — wait, no.”
5) “Star Trek” Guy In A Red Shirt Who Always Dies First
4) Aaron Burr Impersonator: Some people now find Aaron Burr relatable.
3) Dentist: This job also requires you to do something that is like pulling teeth but in the end you actually have pulled a tooth out.
2) Whipping Boy: Not to be confused with the Majority Whip, this person also bore the punishment when somebody else (the king’s son) does something wrong — but at least he occasionally got an earldom out of it.
1) Daycare Provider: They cry, they throw tantrums, they scribble graffiti on the walls, they foil all your attempts at discipline, but your charges will eventually grow up.